Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Passing Thought for The Mentor

I have been thinking a lot about him this week for some reason.  Not with lust or too much envy (albeit a bit of the latter), but, well, just thinking because he was the one who got me on this road that began with so much hope, has taken me through so much disappointment, and yet has become totally obsessive.

First of all: I know there are some gay men who read this blog, so tell me this.  How could a man who is gay, just be so all over women in a way that telegraphs hotness, and not of the male on male kind?

No, he did not put an "equality" sign on Facebook, but then again, I can't imagine him interested in anything as bourgeois as marriage.  He is over 50 and has never even had a steady relationship!  When I knew him he was (boastfully) juggling three (male) friends with benefits who did not know about each other.

Actually, it was because of him that not only am I singing now, but also I have publicly declared myself to be nonmonogamous on principle, whatever that means.  (Well, when your "mate" is elderly and ill, it means something different than it means if your mate is healthy and willing and you're "cheating".)

I remember noticing when I used to take voice lessons in his apartment that the picture he had as his computer wallpaper were of him with a woman in her 90s, a dancer he had met in a nursing home.  Most of his pictures on Facebook show him in a sea of women, flirting with them - or with the camera. The latest crop show him with various burlesque performers, and in one he has his hand on her breast?

Is anyone surprised I thought he represented that Freudian paradigm in reverse: the latent heterosexual?

As I have posted photos here of myself, former roommates, and singers I am envious of, I feel like having a giggle, after so many years of writing about him.  You know you're dying to see....(I am withholding his name and the name of the school where he teaches, but that's it)



Neither one of us was the world's greatest opera singer, but he ended up doing something fun and sexy for a living and I ended up, well, here at my laptop.

But if I hadn't had you I wouldn't have had this


So what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment