Wednesday, May 13, 2015

First Rehearsal Went Well! Can This Be the "New Normal"?

After not being able to sing for a week, and practicing very carefully, I sang through the entire concert program yesterday, and with one or two exceptions, I was thrilled with how things sounded.

For starters, the Bolena duet, which is in a high tessitura, sounded fabulous and felt so easy!  The sustained high A in the opening recit felt like I could hold it forever.  It just sailed up into some head space that I never had before and shimmered.  This is the sound I have longed for for so many years and could never find.  It can't all be because of my cleaning out my sinuses with the Neti pot, can it?  I  have also been taking Mucinex twice a day now.  Maybe that helps also.  Maybe I should just take it forever.  It seems like a pretty benign medication.  Of course I am sure a lot  of it is technique, and learning new muscle habits.  Laura's aria didn't sound quite as good, probably because I use a heavier sound and it is something I sang for the first time in 1980, then sang a lot in my early days of study this time around.

The only thing that did not sound good was the Dalila and Daddy duet.  I am still having some trouble with my lower passagio (not the lowest notes, but the notes around E and F at the bottom of the staff) and at one point my voice actually cracked on an F.  But I would rather have to deal with that than with high notes not happening.  I also need to work on the run at the end of the duet.  It starts on middle C and goes up to a high A flat and back down.  The problem is, I think, that that duet uses a heavy sound in a low tessitura and suddenly I have to get my voice to move.  I had no trouble with the ornamented phrases in the Bolena.

So now the question is: will this new technical proficiency, particularly with my top notes and the big head space that I have found (and I have a tiny little head, not your normal singer shape with wide cheekbones) become the "new normal"?  Will I be able to replicate what I did yesterday?

Here are three signs that things are going well.  The pianist, who hasn't heard me since Carmen, told me how good I sounded.  My teacher said he was pleased.  My teacher invited a lot of his friends.

I only hope that someone will make a video, even just a cell phone video.  My teacher said he will make a "recording" but that means a CD, which is not something I can use for post and boast (presuming that there is something to boast about!!!)  And at the very least I hope someone takes a still photo.  The lack of these things is one of the many things about being my age that are a bummer.  I don't have techie friends.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loathe that F!!! And I hope you find the high notes are the same today as they were yesterday. But if they aren't, they will be there the next day or the day after that until finally they are there all the time. Just have fun!

    ReplyDelete