Thursday, July 21, 2016

On Wings of Song

Last night I had the first rehearsal for my birthday concert.  It went really really well.  The only pitfall is that I got tired in the middle of the next to the last piece "I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls" a lovely aria from Balfe's Bohemian Girl, which, although in a comfortable range, doesn't have many places to breathe.  I am really not too worried, because in the actual concert I will only sing each piece once, and also the pianist will be playing in between some of the sets,  And I gave her instructions about where to take a pause in the Balfe (in each verse) so that I can take a bigger breath than singing in strict time would allow.

The good news is that I had a really pleasant surprise with the Handel.  I think I have figured out how to keep my voice "small" enough to sing the long ornamented runs, despite the fact that my voice is bigger.  I just keep my mouth small (what wind players call a small "embouchure") so that the notes are not "all over the place".  I also figured out some better places to breathe.  I seem to have to breathe somewhere, so I am going to do it toward the end of each run when I'm in one of the low passages.  If there is a low E or F (I'm talking about the notes at the bottom of the staff) that I don't sing no one will notice.

But most of all, I just want to note that I just had a wonderful time.  The kind of time I used to dream of having and now have more often than not, where things are working technically and I can just let my voice soar and think (or in between pieces, talk) about the music.

I have one more rehearsal and then that's it.  I hope it goes well.  I hope my partner can come (she has been told not to go outside for the duration of this five day heat wave).

The only fly in the ointment is I have a bad stye (again) and now have to go to the eye doctor in Brooklyn tomorrow.  It looks horrible.  I'm hoping it will subside enough not to show by  a week from Sunday.

Now I'm going to run the program (with the spoken dialogue and breaks for the pianist).

No comments:

Post a Comment