Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Foundations of Training 1 - First Post

Welcome new readers!

I started this blog last month, and see no reason not to piggyback my Learning Blog assignments onto it. Since this is a blog about my returning to serious study of classical singing in my mid-fifties, it is a blog about learning. I probably won't make my class blog assignments about singing, so if my regular readers who are interested in my singing posts want to skip the Learning Blog posts, they can feel free.



I found the handout from Tuesday's class very evocative of my past work situation in that it referred to the Scientific Management concept of Frederick Taylor, stating that "his goal was to reduce the skill needs of workers to as close to zero as possible", and then went on to analyze the sequelae of Taylor's work. First Frank and Lillian Gilbreths built on it with their time and motion studies which identified and eliminated "elements (usually human tendencies) that blocked the process" and then their successors continued the process of turning workers into a part of the machines they were using.

In the twenty-first century, much of what has happened with technological advances is that tasks that used to involve interpersonal interactions such as conversation, or written notes, now can be done via spreadsheets and databases that collect metrics, but don't necessarily tell a manager anything about the thought processes of their staff, or how their staff are learning.

When I started working at my last position in the mid-90s I was supposed to be running an indexing department. For people who don't know, indexing is similar to library cataloging and much of it is about reading comprehension and use of language. When I started there we wrote on paper printouts (data was eventually entered via keystrokes by data entry clerks) which probably wasn't the most efficient way of doing things, but seeing handwritten notes from staff (I could always tell who had done what because I recognized their handwriting) helped me, when I reviewed their work, to understand how each person was processing information. The data entry clerks did not need to have indexing ability, but they needed to have a familiarity with certain coded fields and with how we used capitalization, acronyms, and punctuation, and they had to pass a proofreading test.

At a certain point in 2006 or thereabouts, there was a shift, and work was sent to the Phillippines for scanning, after which computer programming would "clean things up". So instead of teaching data entry clerks about our house style, I was now thinking up programming strings that would prevent or fix error patterns. So my job was no longer primarily about language but more about programming.

Indexers still worked their craft, of course, and probably worked more quickly without the intermediate step of using paper, but it was now much harder for me to identify whose work was whose in certain situations and staff were less likely to leave notes about how they had done their research, so it was harder for me to understand the thought processes they were having that led to making certain mistakes.

And the primary focus became on collecting metrics (a harkback to Taylor) on how fast each person was working rather than on who had really learned the nuances of indexing.

Question: What are your thoughts on how technology affects on the job training. What do you see as the pros and cons?

7 comments:

  1. I think that technology has changed the way we do business and has automized some tasks that were less complex leaving human power to do what we do best, which is solving the interesting and complex problems that remain after the more routine aspects of work are stripped out.

    How do you think this change impacts the field of adult learning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't feel that in this instance I was left with solving problems that were "more complex" rather that I was left with solving "left brain" type problems (trying to think like a computer programmer) rather than "right brain" type problems, like hands on training of subordinates.

    I suppose this affects adult learning in two ways, one that I can't say I'm happy about, the other that I am.

    First, I think everyone needs to understand something about programming if they are going to be working closely with an IT department. This is a subset of "technology" which can include skills as diverse as HTML coding (a must for most editors these days) and being comfortable with searchable databases.

    Second, I think it's important that right brain skills (understanding how to work with different types of people and continuing to make an effort to communicate with each other, in person if possible) don't get lost, or treated as if they're "silly fluff" which is the message I got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps2010 said...

    On the job training is modeled by the increase in technology. In order to be more productive and efficient on the job. I feel that you have to keep up with technology in the form of softwares, social websites, computers and office equipment. Since, technology changes rapidly, I am encouraged to keep up with technology to communicate and reach the younger generation on my job. The generation between the age of 18 and 24 communicate primarily through email, texting and twitter. New softwares for computers are created every year or two, resulting in the need for more training to learn the new software.

    My question: Does new technology make you more efficient on the job?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think communicating by email can be more efficient in that you can reach a number of people with one click. On the other hand it's important to know when to communicate by email and when it's preferable to arrange to speak in person. Tone of voice and body language are important when discussing touchy subjects.

    The web is a great place to centralize certain job functions. It's good to have a Web site as a go-to place for certain projects. Then everyone can see all communications and watch the progress of a project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there- I think technology can help speed up on the job training. I also like the idea of having acess to go back and review a piece of training via on demand training. So if I learned something new in a classroom setting and forgot a part of it while I am trying to do it on the job, I have a resource to guide me through it.
    cons could be less of a human touch and skill and learning levels are assumed to be the same. The human trainer could spot someone struggling and or bored because the speed of training is too slow.
    Laura Scala

    ReplyDelete
  6. We often overuse a technology, or go with the newest trend rather than what makes the most sense. Podcast on how to program your DVR?

    I am a fan of informal learning. Why should someone have to page through a 500 page, three-year old training manual to look up a process that they use only a few times a year when that information could be searched for on an intranet, a sharepoint, or a knowledge management system?

    Access to electronic information takes the pressure off a learner to memorize a process and allows them to focus on the key concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why should someone have to page through a 500 page, three-year old training manual to look up a process that they use only a few times a year when that information could be searched for on an intranet, a sharepoint, or a knowledge management system?

    Oh, I totally agree with this. I think online training tools are a welcome advance.

    My main beef with technology had to do with replacing the nuanced thought processes of human beings with computer programs. Then the job of the manager (in that case myself) was to deal with programming strings rather than with the learning process of live staff members.

    ReplyDelete