Thursday, June 10, 2010

Foundations of Training I - Wisdom: Can it be Taught?

R.J. Sternberg is quoted as saying "...the wise person has a certain sagacity that is not necessarily found in the intelligent person. He or she listens to others, knows how to weigh advice, and can deal with different kinds of people."

Merriam's quoting of Sternberg here caught my attention because my main goal, if I set myself up as a training consultant, is to teach in groups what I did for years as a one on one mentor of new managers: how to hire, supervise, develop, and evaluate staff.

To do this a person needs wisdom, which I also would define as insight used intelligently and without getting in one's own way.

Unfortunately, many companies promote people into management positions because they are experts in a subject area, whether it is computer programming, indexing, book design, or whatever. This does not mean that the person has any understanding of how to hire, say, an indexer, or what to do with that person's talent once they are on board. Many new managers can't leave a person alone to do their job, for example, which not only annoys and stifles the employee, but also makes excess unnecessary work for the manager. Or they will hire someone who "looks good on paper" but without listening with the third ear to see if that person will really enjoy the job and as a result be productive and dedicated.

Also, many managers from older generations, or even from my own, grew up in an authoritarian environment, so even if intellectually they know that this is not the right way to supervise people, they simply can't let go, with disastrous results (and since these are often the people in the highest positions in an organization, nothing can be done about this).

So my question is: Do you think "wisdom" can be taught and if so, how?

4 comments:

  1. Interesting query! I believe that skills and knowledge can be taught and people can be taught how to question beliefs. So I think we can teach people how to act in a way that is considered, or "looks" wise, but I don't think we can teach people to be wise. That is not a skill in my book, but more a way of being. Transformational learning theory would be an interesting lens through which to attack this question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is very interesting. You are right most companies will promote someone because they are good at their job and this doesn't necessary mean that they will be a good supervisor. However, I believe it also tends to be someone who has been in the position longer. Often someone younger may be over looked because they are seen as not having enough "experience" or the "right" type of experience. It is hard to say if wisdom can be taught, but experience does play a big part in being able to develop wisdom. So is it that someone needs a specific type of experience to be considered wise. Can someone be wise if they have never had any real life experience and only on the job experience? I think i added more questions than answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca,

    You made some excellent points. I think the situations you're describing also falls into "micro-managing" your staff. In the business world, everyone knows that this is a derogatory word, as the behavior of a micro-manager is annoying and hinders the growth and creativity of employees.

    To answer your question, I do not believe that wisdom - in its true definition - can be taught. I think we can guide adult learners in a path where they can begin to obtain wisdom through the experiences they encounter (both professionally and personally). I think as trainers, we can guide adult learners and provide them with tools that will enable them to develop and create wisdom for themselves.

    By the way, I think you have many great points and I think you'd make a great consultant; you demonstrate that you have compassion for (disgruntled) employees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'd make a great consultant; you demonstrate that you have compassion for (disgruntled) employees.

    Thank you! This career choice was actually something recommended to me by the 5:00 Club Career Counseling Center where I and the other "retirees" were sent when we left our company.

    As for sympathy with (disgruntled) employees LOLOLOL! My parents were Marxists so what would you expect?

    Generally if large groups of employees are disgruntled, something is wrong in the company but most places don't care. Or they will bring in a consultant and then ignore any suggestions.

    If a company does accept suggestions it's usually those about concrete things like buying dental insurance, getting better computers, or allowing people to take a Sabbatical. Rarely does a company examine its own culture for flaws and make an effort to try to change.

    This is one reason why I've chosen Senge to do my presentation on, since he is interested in creating "Learning Organizations".

    ReplyDelete