Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Anatomy of a Phrase

In the middle of having a so-so lesson on Friday (I panicked before the deadly phrase with the B flat, then sang it acceptably twice), I suddenly had an "aha" moment. (Now of course I need to beware of these....I will have one, sing a difficult phrase well, and then find a way to screw myself up again.)

The phrase that's giving me so much trouble is only one half step higher than the phrase toward the end of the Judgment scene where she sings "Ah no, non e, non e un traditor" with the vowel "eh" at one point being sung on an ascending scale up to high A and back down. Which is as easy as rolling out of bed for me. Well, that's an exaggeration. What I mean is I know exactly what to do, what it should feel like, and I do it. So I just need to sing the other phrase the same way!!!.

My teacher keeps saying (and this has now been borne out by the last two posts by the great Toreador Song)that a low larynx will never fail me. Any silly tricks I use to try to "save my voice" will just make everything close up. So yesterday in my bathroom I sang the bloody thing three times and it never snafu'd.

1. Take a big breath through my mouth (if I breathe through my nose it has to cut through all that sinus junk and things tighten up).
2. Leave my throat position where it is.
3. Sing a dark awww vowel and just let the scale progress upwards (while I think downwards) and forward, having faith that the bloody note will be there. I mean it's just a half a step past my comfort zone. One tiny little half a step!

Must try again later this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. How did you find me? I'm asking because I'm always looking for more readers. I am probably a better writer than a singer, and even though I may not be a star in either arena, I was inspired by the movie Julie and Julia to realize that even a modest talent, when well-promoted, can be a ticket to something (after all Julie was neither a great cook nor a great writer but someone with money and influence found her story compelling).

    I think it's great that you started voice lessons. What inspired you to do that?

    My teacher thinks there's no age limit on singing well if people take care of themselves.

    I sang a lot in my 20s but then didn't sing at all between ages 30-54.

    ReplyDelete