Monday, November 21, 2011

Second Rehearsal for Recording

Today I had my second rehearsal for the recording, courtesy of my "Angel".

Some things went well, some not.

So here's the recap.

Sappho's "O Ma Lyre": Voice worked well, but boy, am I off with some of the notes. There's a first and a second verse and there are some small differences, particularly in one place, so I need to drill that. Also I am not counting strict time. I took a lot of liberties with the rhythm when I sang this in the concert in 2009 and probably if I'd had a rigorous coach to go over it with, that would have been nipped in the bud. The good news is the coda with the B flat went really well. So I went through the verses again and tried to clean some of these things up (didn't sing the coda more than once - no need),

Acerba Volutta: Didn't sing it what I would call my "personal best" - the high A at the end was a little tight, but I think it was in that new, dark place and I did a nice portamento down from it. My lower middle register sounded weak (nothing new) and no, I don't barrel into chest voice on that F natural on "l'attesa". (Neither does Dolora, but her voice is bigger in that range than mine is.) But I was spot on with all the entrances and the coach said I had that aria "set".

Fenena's aria: This was the biggest (unpleasant) surprise. It's just a two-pager (and much nicer than "Va" IMHO, which has been done to death by conservatory students) and looks deceptively easy. There's a run at the end going up to a high A and coming down almost two octaves, but unlike the run in Dalila's "Amour Viens Aider" this has to sound "pretty". I choked on the A on the first go around and did a "do over" which sounded great, but I need to get it right in context. I think I need to apply that low larynx position that I've been using so successfully on other things, with this. I haven't sung it at a lesson in several years (must bring it to the next one). The coach had never heard it and said she really liked it and thought it was "elegant".

Mon Coeur: Lovely as always. When I was done singing it, the coach said "Brava". She agrees that I don't need to belittle myself because I don't sing the B flat at the end. I'm fine with the one in "Amour" because that's a big battle cry, but I can't sing it softly and sweetly and if I bellow it it will ruin the mood, which is so so hot!

After we ran through those pieces we did a little work on the Requiem. It is coming along. I thought I sounded good in the Salva me and the Recordare. I'm fine with middle C and B, which I can sing in chest voice. It's on Es and Fs at the bottom of the staff where I sound wimpy.

So the first recording session is supposed to be December 6. I am so excited. And of course the great thing about recording is that if I don't like something I can do it over and splice it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment