Sunday, January 8, 2012

Thumbs Up!

I am up bright an early preferatory to going to my (unpaid) church gig (some days I think of it as an "internship" which BTW one is supposed to take as seriously as a job) and thought I should let everyone know that I did well at my audition.

No one was more surprised than I was, because I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep (I have had issues with waking up in the middle of the night and staying awake for hours, which is something new) and had terrible sinus drainage.

But I just took things a minute at a time yesterday morning and when I went to sing, I sounded really good. I don't know whether this was because of a new practice routine my teacher has given me (scales that go backward and forward - I could write the pattern out if anyone's interested) and less "ooo". Also (perhaps) being tired kept me from being tense, although this is not usually the case.

I also pulled a tarot card (born an atheist with one Jewish parent, I became a Unitarian as an adult and now sing in a Lutheran church and define myself as "a little bit Christian, a little bit Jewish, and a little bit Pagan, so the Pagan part of me sometimes uses tarot) and it was a good one with the basic message being "success". And I went armed with good wishes from my Facebook fiends and amazingly from my partner.

When I got there they said they didn't want to hear one of the arias from the opera (each of the mezzo leads has one) and looked through my book and chose "O Mio Fernando" from La Favorita. I had recently reworked that for my recording, so I was able to sing it off book. I got off to a false start (the opening sounded different with this pianist) but once the recit got in full swing I gave a really good performance and really did well with the cabaletta including the high A at the end.

I don't know if I got cast as anything. I would take either of the mezzo roles. I think they are paying people to sing in the chorus but I will probably pass on that. They couldn't possibly pay me enough to make it worth my while to block out all that rehearsal time. I would rather produce something myself. Really the only choral singing that interests me is singing in this church choir because it's small enough that my being there really matters, particularly if there are two soprano parts.

I don't know how long it will take to hear something. Rehearsals are supposed to start at the end of this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment