Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Requiem Will Be March 23 2013!

This is now definite.  I will be singing excerpts from Verdi's great Messa da Requiem at the Lutheran church where I sing, as part of their series of special programs for Lent, the Saturday before Palm Sunday.  I emailed back and forth with the church administrator, who seemed genuinely excited about it. The ticket money will go to whatever charity the church is featuring during Lent, so I will flog, flog, flog it.  I want it to at least pay for itself (meaning make enough money from ticket sales to equal what it would have cost me to pay for the space).  My Samson et Dalila concert did, so there's no reason why this concert shouldn't.

Here's what I have so far:

A pianist
A soprano
A promise from my teacher to let me know if he will sing the tenor part, by Labor Day
An idea for a bass
A program (details re: cuts still to be worked out)
A cost estimate

I won't have a chorus or orchestra, but we will do the best we can without (I will probably have the pianist play part of the "Dies Irae" because it is so famous).

I haven't told my partner yet - I will wait until after my birthday.  Palm Sunday is her favorite holiday, pretty  much the only time she comes to the church where I sing.  She will have a Palm Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment