Wednesday, August 1, 2012

August Has Begun Auspiciously

After yesterday's less than upbeat post, I want to start the month off optimistically.

I think I really do have a spot in the September 11 concert (I was told to come to the next rehearsal and bring what I would like to sing) which will be small, but it will be a place to sing in an event planned by someone else than me.

Chapter 8 of the Artist's Way says to write down what you see as "true North", which to them means what would signal to you that you are who you would like to be as an artist.

For me as a classical singer, the (realistic) true North would be to be cast by someone else in a leading role in an opera (pay optional) or an oratorio with an orchestra (pay would be nice - I think I'm competitive in this repertoire).  So this is just a small concert which will be a mix of classical and nonclassical music, poetry, reminiscences, and other things, but it's a start.

I hope to be singing at least two, maybe three, selections.  On the table are the Dvorak "God is My Shepherd", the Bach "Et exsultavit" from the Magnificat in D, which I also will be singing in church on September 16 and/or the "Laudamus te" from the B Minor Mass, and - I hope I can keep this - a really fun Handel aria from Joshua about heroes, which I think is perfect for the occasion, as it will capture the heroism that occurred on that day.  Here is a link to a version sung by a counter tenor.

http://youtu.be/MiXtwPjgXiM

No comments:

Post a Comment