Saturday, January 12, 2013

Requiem Update and the Power of Prayer

First, just let me say that I have gotten my Requiem bass.  He is a friend of my teacher's, whom my teacher was hesitant to recommend, because he wasn't sure this person would sing for free, but the soprano had suggested him at our last rehearsal, so I asked my teacher for his contact information, got it, sent an email, and the bass responded saying "Any friend of [my teacher] is a friend of mine" and that yes, he would love to do it because he thinks he might be singing the Requiem with an orchestra soon, so this would be a great chance to run through it!

So you never know how people are going to react.

So this Requiem will have two professional singers, one experienced avocational singer with a stunning voice, and me.

I can be very proud of myself.

Things are falling into place.  The marketing will be happening (Lent event flyers, church bulletins, newsletter, church Web site and Facebook page), and people at the church are really excited about it.

I mention prayer because as I said in an earlier post, before I embarked on this project I got down on my knees and prayed.  It seems strange that this daughter of two atheists believes so strongly in prayer, but I do.

I prayed for God to bless this endeavor, that it was for me but it was also for the church, a chance for people to hear a great sacred work during Lent, and money to feed hungry people in the neighborhood.

I still know there's many a slip twixt the as they say.  People get sick, plans change, my eldercare situation could throw me a curve ball.  But I can't think about those things.  I have to believe that if God wants me to sing this I will.

And a woman who is a well known voice teacher sent me a friend request on Facebook, which of course I said "yes!" to.  I am extremely flattered and have no idea what made her think of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment