Monday, January 6, 2014

An Auspicious Beginning

Well, so far 2014 is off to an auspicious start.

Yesterday I sang "Cant deis Aucells" in the Spanish service.  I sang well, and the accompanist complemented me.  He said the piece was in a good range for me.  I think the Spanish song literature in general is in a good range for me.  Really mezzo; not soprano or alto.  The best chunk of my voice is really from the A in the middle of the staff up to the F at the top of the staff and that's exactly where these pieces sit.  Ditto most of Carmen.

I must be doing something right because I am singing scales and arpeggios up to a high C and back every day.  I think I am finally relaxing my jaw in a way I didn't know how to do before.

For the concert on the 19th I am going to sing "Moonfall" as well as the Habanera.  We are supposed to have the first rehearsal Wednesday, so I won't be at choir practice.  The choir director didn't seem to be too upset about it.  If I am singing soprano in the piece we will be singing on the 12th I can listen to it on Youtube and have the melody in my head when we have the runthrough Sunday morning.

I am really sick of this weather.  I worry about my safety.  Sunday I almost slipped and fell on the icy sidewalks and had to take a cab to church.  I already have to walk with the cane and can't use the subways when there's too much snow and ice.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just decided to drop a comment because I've been reading for some time. Your blog is inspiring for someone who has art as passion but also other obligations (even if my field, goals and life situation are more or less different). I'm taking singing lessons at the moment and my teacher is teaching classical, so I found here when I was looking for information.

    I'm glad to hear your perseverance has paid off lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Emffi!

    I am always happy to have new readers.

    Yes, it has taken me a very long time even to feel that I have a decent technique that will hold up singing for extended periods throughout my range. I had studied before, as I've written, which is why I was able to begin again with some knowledge of how to sing on the breath with a nice line, but the whole physical infrastructure that undergirds singing was very weak. That's one reason I continue with the avocational choir. It is a regular opportunity to sing and work on technique and endurance, not to mention improve my musicianship in spiritually nourishing surroundings.

    ReplyDelete