Saturday, April 26, 2014

Brief Update on Carmen and Health

I definitely owe you all a blog post.  I should write as much when I'm happy as I do when I'm sad or angry.

Did I tell you I just love, love, love singing and playing Carmen?

I think this concert of excerpts will definitely be manageable.  I don't find it scary and overtaxing the way I found the Verdi opera scenes concert.  There are three (well, four) notes on which I have to really mind my ps and qs (meaning muster a low breath support and not panic), otherwise I can shake  my booty and have a ball.

There is going to be more staging than I had originally thought: my hands will be tied during the Seguidilla (yum!) and once they are untied (before the scary ending) I can play with the rope and make a big gesture with it to help anchor me in that run up to the B flat. The scene will end with my putting the rope around Don Jose's neck and giving it a tug.

I will have a fan for Chanson Boheme.

And yes, I will really get stabbed at the end and will have to fall! (A bit nervous making considering that my left leg is held together with metal screws!)

I am just having so much fun.  Now I need to make sure I don't develop post- partum depression.

Well, I just read that 2015 will be a big year for Hamlet.  So maybe I can create a concert using scenes from the opera.  I have been wanting to learn the role of Gertrude anyhow.

And my fever is gone!


No comments:

Post a Comment