Friday, November 13, 2015

I Will Be Recording!

At long last, I have a date to record the Bach aria "Hochster mache deine Gute" for my friend's short film.  It will be December 4.

It's been almost two years since we began discussing this, and it has worked out for the best, because now I am much more technically secure singing something in that kind of high tessitura, so I will sound good and won't strain.

Once it's recorded, I will be really excited about tracking the progress of the film, and who knows?  I may get to go somewhere!  The filmmaker lives part time in Nova Scotia and part time in Paris.

I had a bit of egg on my face last night at rehearsal when the choir director handed out a four-part Mendelssohn piece with a high-ish soprano part (meaning a lot of Gs) and because I don't really sightread, and had not only never practiced this, but had never even heard it, I was fumbling for notes, which is not conducive to good singing technique, which is all about having a physiologically based plan for what to do with each phrase.

Well, so now I have my work cut out for me.  Both the Bach solo and the choral piece would use the same type of high light approach (not the same thing as singing "off the voice" to whiten the sound), so my technique will stay consistent and I won't be switching back and forth.  It will represent a nice break from Carmen.  Venus will have to wait, now, although I have been listening to that scene and getting it into my ear.

I also spoke with the Director of Music Ministries about a Christmas solo.  It will either be December 27 or January 3.  I suggested the Lauridsen "O Magnum Mysterium", "Rejoice Greatly", and "Et Exsultavit".  He is supposed to get back to me in the middle of next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment