Thursday, November 5, 2015

New Stuff

Finally, I have some new things to report a propos of my singing.

My teacher and I have decided to put Carmen to bed now until April, except for drilling the notes in Act IV, which I am expanding beyond what I had sung a few year ago.  The last few times I sang the "Seguidilla" I was confident with the high B, so it's a good idea to leave it alone.

I just love, love, love the solo version of the Lauridesen "O Magnum Mysterium".  It is a big piece, compared with what I usually sing in church, so it would have to be for a special occasion, probably not when the regular choir director is there because he doesn't like the sound of a big voice singing high, and that's his preference.  If there's a spot for me to sing early in the season I can sing "Bereite Dich Zion".

My teacher just saw the HD version of Tannhauser and he said, yes, I should look at Venus.  Working on that in German would be a good companion to singing the Bach.  German is my weakest language, so I need to improve it.

He also said I should sing through Santuzza's "Voi lo Sapete".  This surprised me as he once told me that the role was for a soprano and it wasn't for me.  Years ago I tried to sing the "Easter Hymn", hoping it was something that I might sing in church (HAH!) but found the tessitura too high.

I told my teacher I felt guilty that after successfully nailing the phrases with the high B flats in the Amneris/Radames duet I just didn't feel like singing it again right now (didn't want to push my luck?) and he said that was fine.

In other news, I had mentioned working at the church after-school program, and last week I got to work with a child one on one for the first time and I really loved it.  I never wanted any children and have never spent much time around them, but I volunteered for this because they urgently needed people and Monday afternoon is an ideal time for me to do something (weekends are for eldercare and I am not crazy about being out at night, particularly once it gets dark early and there might be snow on the ground).  I figured if I have trained lots of editors over the years I can help a child with English homework (I begged off helping with the math homework!)  Well, once I sat down with a real live little boy, it just made me so happy!  I felt connected, which I never do sitting here editing at my laptop alone in the apartment.  And I got to use my imagination and intuition, faculties that have rusted over the years in corporate environments.  Anyhow, I now really believe that God was at work once again in my life, bringing me something joyful, in addition to singing, to break up the tedium of my dull work and dreary (and sad) eldercare.  It was refreshing to be at the other end of the life cycle, which I never am, because I never had children and don't have siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment