Monday, October 17, 2016

Great Joy and Great Sadness

Trovatore went well.  I was happy with how I sang, and my teacher was happy.  And he sounded great despite having been battling a cold.  The audience loved it although there were only half as many people as had come to Carmen.  The only SNAFU was that the event planner was on vacation, and the person she had turned this  over to left early and turned it over to someone else, so no one could find the programs.  So there weren't any.  But that was a minor matter.

The great sadness is that when the nurse came to see my partner on Wednesday she called 911 (I'm so grateful she was there - my partner never would have allowed me to do that) to take her to the ER if for no other reason than that she had a sprained ankle and could not even walk to the refrigerator.  She was in the ER for over 24 hours before she got a bed.  She had a UTI and pneumonia (a mild case) but I see a lot of other issues as well.  She sleeps way too much and is confused some of the time.  Legally, she is definitely compos mentis, and she did well on several parts of a memory test (the part she did not do well with involved sequences with numbers which is something she has never been able to understand), but she is too confused, in my opinion, to go back home and deal with trying to feed herself, understand materials that come in the mail, etc.  At some point she will be transferred from the hospital to a subacute rehab, and from there maybe she will go into long-term care.  She can't afford to have a home attendant every day and is not currently eligible for Medicaid.  I think once she is in a facility, though, they have staff that could work on that.

Well, even after over 40 years sober in AA, I think it's only now that I understand the idea of "one day at a time".

But I have to go on with my own life.  Fortunately Social Security covers half my expenses and I can always squeeze in 20 hours a week of copyediting to cover the other half.

And I am going to continue to sing although I am not going to plan anything big until I know what's going on with my partner.  My next project can be finding a solo to sing during the period between Christmas and Epiphany, when the choir is off.

And I have her cat, Darby.  So with him and my little Cash-Kiss (my new nickname for him) it's endless Tuxedo shenanigans.

Although tomorrow I have to arrange for Cash to have his nasal poly removed (the rescue people will pay for it).

No comments:

Post a Comment