Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Trovatore Take 1

Yesterday was the first of two rehearsals for Il Trovatore.  Because of everything that had been going on this past month - the loss of my Siamese, the introduction into my life and heart of my new kitty, my partner's continuing decline, computer problems - I had not had time ever to run through the entire program to see if I could pace myself, so I was worried.

Actually, my teacher had told me not to be, but I was still worried.

Well, my fears were groundless.  I sang a personal best, and if I can sing that well in the performance I will be happy.

This doesn't mean that I can "rust" on my laurels, however.  My teacher gave me a practice template, which I will stick to, and I will need to eat healthily (not too many sweets), rest, not get into screaming matches with people, and try, as much as possible, to avoid stress.

That latter is easier said than done, because my partner has sunk again into a scary nonspecific malaise (she nodded off during the ballet last week), and is less and less able to cope with daily living.  Some things may need to change, but she is not at death's door, and can survive certainly until my performance is over.  And someone is bringing her.

So wish me luck; that I can keep up this level of singing.

The accompanist told me how much more "bloom" my voice had on top, and he last heard me in May.

3 comments:

  1. I wish you, not luck, but the fortitude to continue to keep working even in such a difficult time for you with your partner. Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I know at my age if I stop now that will be the end. Are you OK? I know a lot of people had to evacuate from South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very very lucky. No power for 2 days but did have hot water. So many others were very bad off and that almost made me feel guilty for our good fortune. But continued to practice and even progress despite it all!

      Delete