Sunday, August 27, 2017

Jesus is a Rock

This morning I sang "Jesus is a Rock in a Weary Land" for the offeratory.  The Director of Music Ministries picked it out for me. It was just something in the hymnal but after years of singing spirituals with the choir, I figured out a way to interpolate notes into the second and third verses including a high A flat and a chesty middle C, so I was able to showcase my big dramatic voice. And it got applause.  After sitting through the beginning of the service, I can see why the Director picked that piece: the subject of God (or Jesus) as a Rock was the theme of the morning.

Now I will go back to working on my recital music.  I am continuing to sing better and better (my voice is getting bigger, the top is easier, I have more stamina) but I probably don't practice as often.  I am consumed with issues to do with my partner.  Her dementia is getting worse. She got into a fight with the aide last night thinking the aide was trying to poison her, so she refused to take her pills.  I had to stay on the phone with them for a half hour to get her to take her pills.  I am still really living one day at a time.  I have no idea what the future holds.

But there will be singing in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment