Tuesday, February 13, 2018

A Somewhat Upbeat Update

Well, I now have a recital venue.  The Salvation Army residence that I sang at in 2015.  I was told that the audience would be small; they are moving and therefore aren't taking in new residents (and some have moved elsewhere because they don't like the neighborhood they will be moving into if they stay), and I can't invite choir people because it's on a Thursday night, but it will be a recital.  I don't know if my teacher will join me.  I have until after Easter to decide, because that's when I have to get the programs out.  (The recital is in May).

It will be basically the same program I have been doing but I am definitely going to add "Tanti Affetti".  I am quite astounded at how easy this feels to sing.  I will take two traditional cuts and am making one other cut (at my teacher's suggestion).  All the B flats except the last one are part of runs, and as I said a B flat now feel the way a G used to.   I had thought of using this aria to replace "Cruda Sorte", but I quite like "Cruda Sorte" so I think I will sing both and pass on the "Violin Aria", which I was going to use to replace the "Habanera", which for now I am totally bored with.

As for church solos, I may have a short solo for Good Friday.  We will be singing pieces by Schumann.  I don't know yet if I will be singing soprano or alto in the choir.  I think the solo in mind is for a soprano but it is not high.

And then I will have some other solo during the season.  The "Easter Hymn" is out because the only time slots after Easter are at 9 (not a comfortable time for me to sing in a high tessitura) so I have offered to sing Mary Magdalene's aria "Saget mir geschwinde" from the Bach Easter Oratorio.

Right now I mostly seem to want to sing Bach, Handel, and Rossini.  Mozart is a question mark.  I struggled (unsuccessfully) with the big "Laudamus te" whenever I tried to sing it.  With my new, more solid, technique and extra top notes (actually "Laudamus te" only goes up to an A; the problem is finding places to breathe and not getting tight) I might be able to nail it.  I don't know.  It would be nice to sing in the summer but we have to get our bids in by right after Easter, so if it feels iffy, I will sing something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment