Monday, June 27, 2011

Two Can Do It Better Than One

Some progress, although not as much as I'd like. I sounded much better today than I did Friday (two days of not singing, perhaps?) but still not good enough. My voice didn't feel coarse. I can partly see what happens. I get to the difficult spot and I freeze, which tightens all the muscles in my core and I hold my breath.

I need to maintain strength, but also a kind of bouncy buoyant energy.

Worst case scenario I will just scream. I am not singing this as an aria, I'm doing the whole scene, which means the tenor (my teacher) will be singing with me.

A pleasant surprise was that when I sang it with the recording (true, it was only that phrase) I did the best of my entire practice session. So maybe having my teacher singing with me will do the trick. I sing "Il figlio mio avea brucciato" and with the syllable "ciaaaa" on a high A (easy)then he sings "Quale orror" with the "or" on a high A, and if I just sing with him on an A and kind of slide up, I can get spin on the note. I've got three months to fiddle with this.

The unfortunate thing is that I don't seem to retain what I learn up in that vocal range. I panic, then I white out, and I don't, as Peg so aptly mentioned in her comment "observe".

No comments:

Post a Comment