Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Audition Recap

I don't really have time to write, but I don't want to leave my readers in the lurch.

I had my Ballo audition Saturday and I believe I sang well.

Circumstances were not ideal, in that I had to wait for an hour.  That can be a pitfall for me because it can cause my energy to flag or to get frittered away.

I listened a little, walked a little, did some breathing exercises, and then went downstairs to what I thought would be a warmup room but it turned out there was no piano.

I heard some big dramatic soprano voices and a few coloraturas.  There were no mezzos singing in the hour during which I was listening.  Apparently one of the big dramatic soprano voices was not to the auditors' liking and they said some highly critical things to the soprano in question. Most of the other people (including a soprano with a stunning, large, bright, well placed, and pure voice, who sang some Verdi and some Wagner, and including me) got a "thank you".  I got a "thank you" and a smile.

I was very nervous when I started and the first three phrases of "Re" didn't sound good, but once I hit my stride I sounded really good on the big climaxes.  And I was able to hold the low G for four counts. Then (my almost worst nightmare) they asked for the Adriana aria, but fortunately only for the end.  So I started with "O vagabondo" and really nailed that high A and sustained the F all the way to the end.  Thank you to the woman who coached me to sing "Et Exsultavit".  Putting that sound in the big arias really helps.  I am never going to sound like a light lyric soprano, but it takes a lot of the weight off.

The question is what are they looking for.  If they want a very dark voice, they would not be interested in me.  There was no callback date mentioned, so I have no way of knowing if I am being considered.  The performance is 13 months from now.  I know one of the pianists they use (he was listening, not playing) but I don't feel friendly enough with him (the way I did with the pianist for Gioconda) to contact him.

In other news, the bass I wanted to use for the Requiem is not available for weeknight rehearsals, which is what works for everyone else, so I will have to find someone else.  I have an email out to someone but have not heard back.  I am also going to ask my teacher at today's lesson.

And there are going to be several Christmas concerts in nursing homes and hospitals.  These should have meaning beyond just the glory of singing.  I am going to sing some Spanish carols that are basically art songs, by a composer named Nin.

Lastly, today would have been my mother's birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment