Thursday, October 4, 2012

Highs and Lows

Something totally weird happened this week.  I discovered what I think is my "whistle register" - although that and a Metrocard swipe will get me on the subway.

I never thought I had one, and if this is it, it doesn't seem to have much to do with my regular voice.

I was fooling around trying to hum a high A (not something I can really do - the highest note I can hum with my mouth closed is usually a G) and instead I sort of wheezed out a pitch that turned out to be a high E!  I was able to replicate it, and take it up and down from an F to a C sharp (at first it wouldn't go lower than an E flat) but I can only do it with my mouth closed and my larynx raised, and it feels like something wheezy being squeezed between my larynx and my chest, including blowing out through my nose.  I can't always replicate it (just tried) and I know I have to be very careful not to do myself any damage.  I noticed just now that trying to take the sound lower (sometimes it won't go lower than an E flat) produces a hideous squawk that could be dangerous.

Now my higher singing in general seems to be better, though.  I was able to get through the soprano line in the Bach cantata (I have to sing it now that the conservatory trained coloratura is gone).  It has 6 high As but they all go by very quickly.  I will be able to sing it if we don't over-rehearse it the morning of the service.  Six high As are one thing; eighteen are another.

And staying "happy" when I sing the ending to "Acerba Volutta" seems to do the trick.  I did notice that some of the low notes in "Re dell'Abisso" didn't sound great, but it's a fair tradeoff.

And, best news of all!  I landed a spot at the Ballo audition.  I will sing "Re" first and pray that they don't ask for "Acerba" next because I worry if I get a big adrenaline drain from "Re" I will have trouble.  Maybe they won't ask for anything else, or they'll ask for Dido or Dalila, to hear something in a different style or language.  I am not getting my hopes up (I will be competing with singers with impressive CVs who are 20 years younger at least) but it will be a chance to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment