Saturday, December 15, 2012

Impressions of the Gala

Well, I watched the Richard Tucker gala on tv, and, as I had guessed, found it both depressing and inspirational.

 Jamie Barton blew me away with her rendition of "O Mon Fernande". Her voice was dark and rich, and just as I said to myself, "no, with all that weight on the bottom and all that richness she's not going to interpolate some stratospheric note into the ending but will just sing a good solid A", she did interpolate some crazy high note (I couldn't grab my pitch pipe fast enough to tell if it was a B or a C). How do these singers do it? How do they get their voices to be so big, so rich, and with such ranges? I simply can't get a handle on that. No matter what I do, I just don't really have anything above an A except to sing in the middle of a run and drop like a hot potato. And her singing is surprisingly passionate, compared to her rather - so it seemed - placid "yes definitely from the heartland" personality.

And Olga Borodina rocked "Mon Coeur". Although she should have left that interpolated B flat alone. It doesn't belong in the piece unless you can sing it softly and sweetly. She also seems to have lost a lot of weight. Apparently she is chewing up the scenery as Amneris this season.

Sorry to say I found Ailyn Perez rather underwhelming. She has a beautiful voice full stop. She has neither the passion of Anna Netrebko or the brilliance of Beverly Sills, in, say, a role like Manon. But she did say something that left me with, well, something. I may be misquoting her, but it was something like "If you work harder than everybody, anything is possible."

I work and I work and actually I do keep singing better but it isn't enough. Finding that perfect energy balance eludes me (I realized today that I am always a little too wired or a little too tired), if I talk too much I'm sunk (like a typical New Yorker my default mode of speech is loud with a tight throat). I have chronic sinus drainage, which makes it hard to raise my palate.

Well, tomorrow morning I am singing Wagner's "Angel" song in church. It may be on the church's Youtube channel. I won't post it here, because there is a nasty commenter who ripped some sound clips I put up here to shreds and even though I took them down and referred to her as a bitch in my subsequent post, she still makes comments (not nasty ones, but why is she still here??) The "Angel" has to be sung entirely pianissimo and it has a lot of Fs and F sharps and one G. So I need my beauty sleep. And I will keep it what I laughingly refer to as a "female" morning. No hymns. Until the "Angel" is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment