Monday, June 24, 2013

A Winner

I should be working, or starting my practice, but I felt I had to make a post about the winner aka Jamie Barton who can be heard singing "Acerba Volutta" from Adriana Lecouvreur below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01bssjb

This is an aria I have sung at auditions, thinking it was one of my best, and well, comparisons are odious.

This is greatness, which doesn't come along all that often.

Even more amazing, is her rendition of "O Mon Fernande," which you can hear here


If her rendition of "Acerba" blew me away (how can a voice be so big, so rich, and yet have so much lightness and spin to it?), her rendition of "O Mon Fernande" (which I have sung in the Italian version as "O Mio Fernando") made me want to crawl under the table.  When she began, her voice was so dark, so big, and so weighty, that I just assumed she would end the aria with the standard A, which is what I do (likewise Denyce Graves). Well, after all that dark, lustrous singing, she just took off and sailed up to a light, effortless, for me, even 30 years ago, utterly unattainable High C.

A voice like this comes along once in a lifetime, if that. I have heard wonderful recordings of Giulietta Simionato, but it is a mix of exciting spine-tingling singing combined with some really ugly sounds.  Those old Italian mezzos had a lot of what my teacher calls squillo in the voice, which, according to a real professional singer friend, has gone out of fashion these days.

So what went into making Jamie? For one thing, my hunch is that she has decided not to worry about her weight. The jury is still out as to whether excess weight is a health hazard (but not about whether eating junk food is a health hazard - it is), and being hungry all the time (which becomes a problem for each individual at a different weight)makes it impossible to have the stamina needed to support a big voice (or, really, to concentrate and focus on anything).

Next, she grew up in a rural area.  I truly believe that growing up in the middle of New York is not an asset if you want to sing.  The air is full of pollution (although there are places that are worse), and everyone screams at the top of their lungs down on their cords.

Other than that, I suppose, the kiss of the angels, hard work, and making the right connections.

I probably won't be singing "Acerba Volutta" for a long time, or "O Mio Fernando" either.  For now, let me stick with Carmen.  

In other news, here is a photo I took of myself outside my building in the "armpit of Lincoln Center" after a workout.


2 comments:

  1. I too was absolutely blown away by her voice. No one else in the contest had a chance. Interesting observation about growing up in the country. One of my current favorites, Christine Brewer, grew up in a podunk town near St. Louis. And she still lives there. She has never moved to the big apple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had written a response, Peg, but it seems to have gotten deleted! Many of the great singers come from rural areas. I think the air is healthier and people are less stressed. Not to mention that the way New Yorkers naturally speak is very bad for the singing voice. There are actually not many opera singers who were born and raised here, considering what a big place it is!! During the 50s there was a group of (mostly Jewish) New York born stars at the Met, and there was Beverly Sills, but not many now. I have struggled with my speaking voice, which is loud and tight-throated, although I don't have that hideous New Yawk accent.

    ReplyDelete