Friday, June 21, 2013

Up Next

I have a few tidbits coming up, so I thought this would be a good time to document them.

I realize that as long as I have some solo singing on the horizon, no matter how humble, I feel more optimistic than when I don't.  Choral singing is spiritually and musically nourishing, and the "fellowship" is very special (which is why I am still doing it), but it doesn't satisfy me where I live.

So, ok, what's next?

The woman from the publisher is still interested in my singing the "Habanera" in a bookstore (or several).  I was worried that if she somehow either found this blog, or found me on Facebook, even a few small details, she would see how old I am and beg off.  Well, apparently not.  So that will be in August.  I wonder what my SO will make of it?  Will she disparage me for doing something I don't get paid for?  Say something foul-minded about what I will be wearing and that I will be doing this to "display myself" immodestly? (One reason why I stopped defining myself as Lesbian - even though, other than the Mentor, most of my attractions are to women - is because I really can't stand the prudery and it is certainly rampant among the "woman identified woman" generation.)  Well, really, what can she do about it?  Say she will never speak to me again and lose her grocery shopper and laundress?  Unlikely.

Next, the wonderful thing that happened as a result of this gig was that I revisited the score of Carmen and I have fallen in love with the role again.  Initially, I had wanted to do a pocket version of the opera as a follow-up to Samson et Dalila, but many things intervened.  I don't care for the big ensembles (listening to them, yes, singing them sandwiched in the middle of a quintet, no - I do enough of that in choir), and the multiple versions of the recitatives, but my teacher showed me how to excerpt a few of the duets, and I think they will be great.  I was even pleasantly surprised at how I was able to manage something with that B at the end of the "Seguidilla".  It is easier in the actual duet because you have a break between the bulk of the aria and that last bit.  And if I am really worried, I can have that last page transposed down a half step, which would not be noticed by anyone who doesn't have perfect pitch, and is, in fact, what Grace Bumbry does on the recording. Then there's the sexy dance duet with the tenor's "Flower Song" in the middle. And lastly, the death scene, which of course is very dramatic.  I sang through that at my lesson yesterday.  My teacher said I had a lot of old bad habits in the "Seguidilla" (singing what he calls "shallowly" or "crooning") because I hadn't really sung it since I am using a more open position and more support.  So he told me to sing through it on "aw" a few times and then try singing the words again.

He really likes the idea of my doing some excerpts from this as part of the concert, so I have decided now to scrap that difficult page from Werther.  If I want to sing something from Werther I can do the "Letter Scene".  And then maybe something from Samson et Dalila.  Or maybe just the excerpts from Carmen and buddy up with someone who can do something else for the other half of the program.

I donated a small amount to the Spanish woman's campaign, which put me back in the frame for her, which was worth it, because she invited me to sing again in her September 11 concert.  I may try to do some of the Jake Heggie songs.  I have been working on "Primary Colors" (that would also be good for a church solo) and the second half of "More is Required" which is called "Love is".  That might also be good for a church solo.

Also, now that I am on this woman's A list again, I will feel free to ask her if I can use the performance space in her building.  I will also be open to her suggestions as to what to put on a concert program.  Maybe she will sing something for the other half of the program (something Spanish, to pair with Carmen?)

Lastly, I am still playing tag with the choir director about a summer solo.  The violinist will not be around much, so I may do the "Laudamus te" without him.  Or there is another violinist I might ask, although I don't know if he can play Bach.  I really want to do something upbeat, because during the regular season I can only sing slow quiet things for communion.

And next week is the writing class.  It will be a challenge to find the right balance between writing my truth, and being careful about what I say in front of my choir colleagues, etc.  I think most of the people in the class will be women around my age and I have varying levels of trust with regard to them.  What I have to remember is, as with singing, if I want to be "somebody", not everyone is going to like me, and that's OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment