Wednesday, November 13, 2013

And One *BIG* Thing

The concert version of Carmen that I had wanted to produce, in which sung scenes from the opera will be interspersed with readings from the book, is now definitely happening.  I have selected several tentative dates in May.  The woman who produced the 9/11 concert, the Spanish song coach, will sponsor me to produce this in the performance venue in her building.  She is totally supportive of it.  Maybe now I have a real mentor?

First, a tenor.  I will ask the tenor from my Requiem first.  I will wait until next week, when he is finished with his performance of Un Ballo in Maschera.  If he wants to do more singing and find me a Micaela that will be great, although she is not in the book.  Once he lets me know if/when he is available I can set a date.  If he is not interested or available I have another list of tenors.  Once I have a tenor I will firm up the date, and can work everything else around this.

My "sponsor" recommended an accompanist.  I have heard him play for her when she has performed, and he is quite good.  I will see if he is available.

Next, I will look for a reader.  Sponsor gave me some suggestions, which I will follow up on.

She also said I could sing something from Carmen at her Spanish music concert, which now will probably be in June.  I could sing the "Habanera" and the song by Manuel Garcia, which inspired it.


I am really excited about this.

In other news, Sponsor is having a workshop next week, to which I will bring "Cant deis Aucells" and "Nun Wandre Maria".  Once the holidays are over I can bring some of the Carmen material to any workshops she has.  I even think I may be able to sing the B in the "Seguidilla".  I only have to hold it a nanosecond.

Lastly, The Mentor now seems to have changed his name.  Or he seems to have two names.  Would love to know the story behind this but of course there's no way for me to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment