Wednesday, December 4, 2013

More on Carmen

Plans for Carmen continue.  The other tenor from the Met chorus has agreed to sing Don Jose, barring a paying performance on the same day, which he will know about far enough in advance.  In any event, his commitment now means that I can set the date.  I emailed my "sponsor" and she will get back to me regarding whether or not the room is available.  I am very flattered that he sounds happy to sing with me and he also said he can find me a Micaela and an Escamillo.  So we will be fleshing things out quite a bit.  I said we don't need the comprimari singers because I was not planning to do the big ensembles.

Last night I went to a group coaching session with "sponsor".  The other singers were not classical singers; she may have invited them because she is planning a cabaret/musicale in her apartment in January.  She said I can sing the Habanera there.  That will be fun.  I also met someone who does dramatic readings, so I might ask her to read the scenes from the book.

This afternoon I stumbled upon a Youtube video of Peter Brook's Tragedie de Carmen. If I were younger and more nimble I would love to do that.  I only got to listen to the beginning sections, but there are some interesting changes.  As they only use the four principals, the fight scene is between Carmen and Micaela. Also Carmen is smoking.  She does in some productions.  That is what always tempts me.  Not drinking.

Anyhow, here is a snippet

http://youtu.be/PhINJ5RTG5k

Tonight I am going early to choir practice to run through "Nun Wandre Maria".


No comments:

Post a Comment