Thursday, February 12, 2015

Not Grieving Today

I feel the need to drop by today to reassure readers after that lengthy and perhaps maudlin post of yesterday (although I didn't mean it to be such; it was more of an essay on the nature of grieving than a plaint), that today I am feeling really happy.

First I have to say that some of the personnel changes at the church that are in progress are making a difference.

The new Director of Music Ministries was trained as a choral conductor. He teaches at a city college and directs their community chorus.  Community choruses are often places where late blooming talent blooms, so I feel that he can relate.

Last night this new Director led the choir and it just "felt" different.  He got there late and told us to "warm up on our own" so Little Miss (the one he had called because her boyfriend works at the church and therefore she has keys) and I actually led the warmups as a group effort!!  It was fun.  And when we got to singing the choral pieces I never felt that I had to pretend to sound like a light soprano or I would get a snarky look.  I just sang with my real voice and followed the dynamics.  And you had better believe that people noticed that in one place there was an E at the bottom of the staff that I was able to hold for four (slow) measures.

After rehearsal we went through "Et Exsultavit" for the Spanish service.  It was fun, and he provided a supportive accompaniment.  I didn't worry that I was singing too loud, I just went with the flow of the piece (and, in the Director's words "nailed" that long run).

After that I just blurted out "now I have to find something to sing for Lent".  So we discussed different denominations' take on Lent and the music they wanted to use.  Then I asked him if he had ever heard the "sexy Agnus dei"

http://youtu.be/LMO9Yk41LUM

He told me yes, that he had done the choral version with one of his community choruses (I don't know if this was as a director or a chorister).  And I. may. get. to. sing. it. this. Lent.  Not with the choral backup, and perhaps with a cut, but it is a possiblitiy!!!.  And if not, I will find something else.

1 comment: