Friday, May 18, 2018

A Personal Best

Well, I would say that taken as a whole, last night's recital was a "personal best".  Certainly "Tanti Affetti!"  I would never have been able to sing that even two years ago.  I guess I now really "own" a B flat.  Back to the dreaded Amneris/Radames some day? Maybe, or maybe not.  I just have lost my palate for that kind of thing.  Too bad, because that probably would have been my fach if I had started singing younger and been out there in the mix.  I just want to sing bel canto, Handel, Bach.  Speaking of Handel, the one piece I was not please with was "Had I Jubal's Lyre".  This was the first time I sang it in public without taking breaths in the long runs and I think it sounded a little sloppy.  I asked the accompanist to play it fast and maybe it was too fast.  Also it was the first thing I sang.

The videographer was there.  I offered to pay her and she refused.  She is such a lovely person and does such a professional job.  I'm sure when I see and hear the videos I will find things to criticize but that's the whole point.  If I like something, I can post it.  If I don't, I can learn something from it.

Now I have a respite and then I have to do the whole thing again.  I have never done a recital twice, so that will be interesting.  And next week I will meet the new accompanist for the first time.  My teacher's wife knows him.  And I talked to a friend about the neighborhood and she said it should be fine to go up there during the day. 

Here's a picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment