Tuesday, May 8, 2018

First Rehearsal for the First Recital

Today I had the first rehearsal for my first recital.  There were some pleasant (and one unpleasant) surprises.

The overall takeaway from this is that for whatever reason (my voice is changing, my technique is changing, or I just have lost a lot of chest resonance because I'm now on my fourth week of chest congestion although it is slowly getting better) I get less tired singing high than singing low.

Pleasant surprises: "Tanti Affetti" went really well despite my never having sung it with an accompanist.  Not only the cabaletta, with all the high notes, but also the cavatina, which is difficult rhythmically.  The "Drinking Song" was a piece of cake.  The lighter pieces, including "Amapola", which I had never sung with an accompaniment, went well, except for a wrong note or two in "Waltz Me Around Again Willy".  I figured out where to take two breaks in "I Dreamt I Dwelt" so that I don't get tired at the end.  That was one thing that didn't sound good last year.

Unpleasant surprise: After singing "Tanti Affetti" brilliantly, I could not get through the end of  "Cruda Sorte" which is a fifth lower.  One point of note is that in "Tanti Affetti" I take the standard "bel canto cuts" whereas in "Cruda Sorte" I have not historically taken any cuts because it is in such a low range I figure I don't need breaks.  Well, my accompanist told me to take breaks.  He showed me where I can stay stumm while he plays.  He thinks if I do that I will be fine.

A mixed bag:  I started out with the Handel "Had I Jubal's Lyre" and although I still am able to sing the long runs without taking catch breaths (something I couldn't do last year - thank you to all the work I did on "Rejoice Greatly") I sounded like I could barely make it.  So I asked the accompanist to play faster on the long runs.  He did (and also took the tempo faster in general, which I think helped, and which he liked).

Tomorrow I have my lesson and I will talk to my teacher about the two Rossini pieces.  Then Tuesday we have the final runthrough.

I am still taking Mucinex pills.  It would really be wonderful if I could just be rid of this thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment