Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sometimes it's a Blessing to be Singing Alto

I may not be writing much here, because I may not be singing anything ambitious (don't worry, I will still be practicing every day and learning my choir music and choir solos). I am going through a very sad life transition (on the heels of the sad life transition of losing my mother) which involves trying to get my partner into an assisted living facility. I don't want to say much here, for reasons of her personal privacy, but suffice it to say that I have been spending a lot of time googling (thank goodness for all the research on nonprofits I did on my last full-time job) and a lot of time crying.

I know it's for the best, and it will be wonderful not to have to do shopping and laundry for her on the weekends, but it's still sad.

I also haven't been sleeping well since this decision was made a few days ago.

Tomorrow I'm singing alto in a selection from Haydn's "The Seasons". So I have to know my music, but as the part only goes up to an E, I don't have to be in great physical shape.

But I need to keep vocalizing, at least up to a B. I am taking a break from a rather scaled down practice session, and don't know if I have the nerve to take a crack at the ascending phrase from the Amneris/Radames duet (I've been working on it again and it's been giving me trouble again - the Azucena "Condotta" B flat is easier). Maybe not. I do need to work on a piece we're singing on Ash Wednesday, though. I'm singing soprano and it bounces up and down to "high" Fs. Fine if I can sing with my real voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment