Thursday, September 6, 2012

Making Plans

I don't usually post more than once in a day, but some interesting things came up during my lesson.

First of all, Ulrica rocks!  That low G is sort of a growl, but the rest of the piece sounds really really good. And despite it's being thought of as "contralto", other than that low G it is not a low piece and has quite a few sustained Gs and A flats.  And as this is a new piece I have no bad muscle memories.

So my teacher said, yes, I should go to this audition.  The man who played for our "Viva Verdi" concert is the pianist for that group, I think, so I wrote to him and asked him if he had any "inside scoop".

Also my teacher agreed that I should make my "top five" more age appropriate.  I don't know if I will keep Ulrica in the batch but I will use it for this audition.  And I will swap "Voce di Donna" for "Stella del Marinar".  I just have to memorize it.  And memorize the Ulrica aria.  And I will take out the Favorita aria even though I sing it well and replace it with "Dido's Lament" since they usually want something in English.  I suppose Dido, as a classical figure, could be any age.  Likewise Dalila, so I will keep "Mon Coeur" for now.

I will also try to add new things.  There is an aria from Cilea's L'Arlesiana that he said might be nice for the "Viva Verismo" concert - which, BTW he is very excited about.  And he said yes, I should get a score of Hamlet and work on Gertrude.  I can maybe eventually add her aria "J'ai Peur" into my set. 

The bad news is he is not going to sing the Requiem.  He said it is too lyric for his voice. So he is going to see if he can find me someone.  I have quite a lot of lead time.

No comments:

Post a Comment