Thursday, September 6, 2012

Synchronicity

Just as the breakthrough with my singing has held, the breakthrough with my spirit has held also.


The Artist's Way mentions the concept of syncronicity, which no matter how hard I try, I can't wrap my head around. Actually reading this Wikipedia entry has helped a little. In some ways it sounds a bit like New Age blather: if you ask the Universe for something and listen, it will appear.

I think what does happen is that if you become unconflicted about something, you are more likely to say "yes" to things along the way, which will bring you closer to your goal.

I am very happy about the relationship I have formed with the woman producing the September 11 concert.  She is a highly trained professional classical singer, who is also a teacher and coach, but is not immersed in the world of aspiring opera singers in their 20s, 30s, and 40s who can sing, act, and talk circles around someone like me.  She is probably about my age.  So, for example, when I asked if I could produce a concert of opera scenes in the space in her apartment complex, she said yes, I could do it if she sponsored me, and that we could talk about it.  So "Viva Verismo!" may have a home.

I also am really excited about some new music I discovered - songs by Jake Heggie set to poems by     Sister Helen Prejean.  Heggie wrote the opera Dead Man Walking which is about Sister Helen and a man who is executed for murder. One of the songs, "I Live My Life in Primary Colors", would be suitable for church, and another, "More is Required" might work for next year's September 11 concert, if I get asked back.  And the songs have a flute accompaniment.  And this woman knows a flutist and has performed a concert of songs for voice and flute.  So who knows where that could lead?

This afternoon I have a voice lesson and will see how I sound singing Ulrica's aria.  I don't know about the low G at the end.  The rest of it should not be difficult.  I have never sung it, but I have heard it numerous times.  If not, I will wait for the next audition opportunity, and think about how/whether to make my aria package more age appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment