Thursday, July 25, 2013

Benchmarking

I know I always feel compelled to write when I am sad, so I owe it to my readers to also write when I am happy!

Tuesday night was the kickoff rehearsal for the September 12 concert, and I sang really well.  I can really tell how far I've come when I sing "Angel" because it was the second solo I sang after being "discovered" (actually "Mon Coeur" was the third; I just date that Valentine's Day as being the beginning of it all, because that was when I changed forever), and I have also sung it numerous times at the Lutheran church.  True, it is easier to sing if I am not terrified of singing one notch above pp, but also my voice is more open.  I have found that "headspace" that all the good female singers have, even the amateurs, that I never did.  So of course I am terrified that I am going to lose it.  (Talk about neurotic!)  The reason, though, is I have made vocal breakthroughs before, and they have not held.  Although I think this is different.  Can it all be the result of using the Neti pot?  I think things began to improve when my teacher had me focus on getting rid of the "gargly" sound that I had in my upper passaggio.  We had never focused on that before because we were mostly (not very successfully) working on high notes and (successfully) on getting rid of the break in my lower passaggio.  But when I began examining the problem with the top F, I realized that it was caused by my not having "room" behind my soft palate which was at least in part caused by all the sinus drainage I had, which I never really noticed. In any event, whether it's thanks to the Neti pot, or just practice, practice, practice, I now am able to lift my palate, which seems to not only make it easier to sing higher (the B flat is easy sailing now, although I still have to sing another note first ) but makes my entire voice sound better and less "obstructed".

Anyhow, the woman producing the concert told me how great I sounded.  The last time she heard me was December, when I was singing some Spanish Christmas-themed art songs that called for a "lighter" sound.  What is interesting about "Angel" is as it is part of Wagner's Wesendonck Lieder, it is not written for a light voice, it is written for a heavy voice singing softly.  So in the concert I am going to sing "Angel" and "Primary Colors" (by Jake Heggie).  We had to scrap "Love is" by Heggie because the producer said that she knows no pianist who could play the accompaniment.  My coach could probably play it, as could my choir director, but we will not be getting anyone at that level.

And everything is set for my bookstore "Habanera".  I will tell my partner about it on August 3, after all my birthday celebrations are over.  Who knows?  Maybe she won't mind.

And to top it all off, a "friend" (can't give details here) sent me a big bouquet of flowers.  I was quite surprised.  This diva always loves to get flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment