Friday, August 2, 2013

A Lot Going On

Well, I suppose that expression is relative...

First, the bookstore gig.  An actress friend of my SO's was upset that I was being "taken advantage of" by not being paid, as this publisher is a commercial enterprise.  So I asked around, and the most succinct advice I got was from a former boss of mine, when I was in a management position in publishing, who is a publishing law expert (although he is not a lawyer).  He said the most important thing is that I need to have a contract stipulating what the publisher can do with the video they are making and what I can do with it.  If the video is my "payment", then I need a written statement that I can use it for personal promotional purposes.  Regarding pay, most of the people I spoke to didn't see this as so much of an issue because the company is using the video to sell copies of a new printing of Merimee's Loves of Carmen, which will not exactly be a big money maker.  The issue, my ex-boss said was being sure everything is in writing, which I certainly remember from my days as a Managing Editor.  So how things are at this moment, is that the woman from the publisher sent me a draft contract to sign and I made a few changes to it and am waiting to hear back with a revision.

The September 12 concert is taking shape.  In addition to my two solos ("Primary Colors" by Jake Heggie and "Angel" by Wagner) I may be singing two duets with a lyric soprano: the "Barcarole" from Hoffman (which I sang decades ago in my former persona as a trouser mezzo), and an abbreviated version of the duet from Hansel and Gretel, which I have also sung.

And the best news of all is that the woman producing this concert is eager for her singers to produce their own concerts in the room in her apartment complex (which is a very nice place to sing; clean and well kept, not like the studio where I sang the Verdi and almost choked to death), so I am going to definitely do the scenes from Carmen and will ask someone else to something for the other half (and I will need a tenor for Don Jose).  I proffered a few Saturday and Sunday afternoon dates in  May (I sing better in the afternoon) and she is going to get back to me.  After that I can start making plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment