Thursday, September 26, 2013

And Now: For Something Completely Positive

I have written a lot lately about negative people who hurt me (I'm sure unintentionally).  In fact I would go so far as to say that these people don't even know how much negative energy they put out.

Well, here's a refreshing change.  A breath of fresh air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ch9sOjLHLk&feature=youtu.be

 I have had a virtual relationship with this lovely woman for a long time, and she has said supportive encouraging things to me.  And she is every inch a professional.

On another note, I seem to be having more success at the shallow end of the pool lately.  By that I mean places to sing (solo arias and songs, not with a choral group) where I don't feel totally out of my depth.

Rather than being obscure and cutesy, basically what I was trying to say about the "shallow end of the pool" is that it's fine to stay away from singing overly challenging repertoire in public. Although the times I've done it the only criticism I've gotten has been from my voice teacher and one or two other high level singers - and none of it was unkind as in "you shouldn't have sung that" and none of them accused me of being "selfish" by singing it.  What I have found frustrating is the lack of places for trained (but not quite up to the level, apparently, of people singing at the no pay opera groups) singers to do solo singing in front of audiences, even just audiences of peers, and talking to each other about their small triumphs and frustrations, which seem to go with the territory if you've discovered a passion for an art form when you're older and living someplace where you're drowning in an ocean of people who are more talented (Oh wyo wyo wyo, wasn't I born in a backwater in Ohio??)

Yesterday I got an invitation to the Hispanic Heritage event at the Spanish woman's house, where people are invited to bring Spanish songs (any genre) to sing.  So I ordered the book of Jaoquin Nin's Canciones Populares.  Feeling, as I do, so at home with Carmen (other than the B in the Sequidilla, which can be got around), I know that the Spanish song repertoire will suit me, and I am really excited about exploring it.

So now there is an actual date on my calendar for me to sing something!!

And Valerie's video has inspired me to continue on....


No comments:

Post a Comment