Tuesday, September 17, 2013

This is Exactly What I Have Been Talking About

I haven't posted anything for a while, because I haven't been doing much singing since the concert (it went well, but was not well attended because of the rain).

Now I have nothing definite on my calendar.  Judas Maccabeus does not have a mezzo aria other than the one pertaining to Chanukah, and there is nothing else on my calendar other than tentative plans to do the sung and read excerpts from Carmen, and possibly singing "Nun Wandre Maria" during Advent (I need to look at it).

But once again, I was really shocked by all the snark on Facebook (from the same cast of characters) about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GojUwW6voyA

So OK, this woman chose the wrong aria, and needs a bit of polish.  But one of these snark queens referred to being "personally insulted".  That's arrogance, as much as this woman singing less than perfectly.

What I don't get, is on the one hand they laugh at this woman in high dudgeon, and on the other hand, they recycle this video and laugh at it.  I, for one, would never have even known about it, otherwise, as I didn't watch the Miss America pageant and am not interested.  I don't find this that different from people circulating insulting pictures of fat people or old people, or anything else, to generate shared ridicule at someone else's expense.

First of all, however many imperfections this performance has, to say this woman has never studied or practiced is outrageous!   I mean if she had had a good teacher or coach, the person probably would have suggested that she sing something else, but when the day is done is this really worth all that hatred and venom?

The people reposting this and laughing at it are saying as much (that's questionable) about themselves and their dissatisfaction with their lives as they are about her.

Really happy successful people don't circulate things to ridicule.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I thought she was absolutely amazing to have gone from archery to this at the last moment and to have learned it from You Tube. And to have projected such confidence! She may not be a finished product but she has got guts, brains, and raw talent. I think these people are just plain jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all fairness, Peg, I don't think these people are jealous. They are established singers and voice teachers. What I do think is that they are not happy people and enjoy taking umbrage at those who fall short of their own high standards instead of thinking about how their own careers have disappointed them in various ways. I think this woman made an unfortunate choice in singing that aria, and would not have done so if she had had proper direction, but I don't think it put the future of opera in jeopardy, nor do I consider it an insult to people who have studied and worked at perfecting their craft. Nor do I consider her arrogant. Ignorant, yes. I think it hit a nerve because this is the same crowd that disparaged my Habanera video. I can just feel the negative vibes emanating from these people and as a therapist once said "trust your instincts".

    ReplyDelete
  3. If these established voice teachers and singers are not jealous, then they are just plain stupid. The woman was not auditioning for an opera! Nor was she even auditioning to get into music school! These people are criticizing her as if that is what she were doing. Her purpose was to show talent, and boy, did she show it. To boot, she is young and beautiful, which may have actually been her worst "crime." Please don't let people like this get to you. These are people who need to find fault in order to feel superior. They have problems. Now if only I can read those letters.......(grin!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peg I agree that these people have problems, but they are far from stupid. I think, as I said, that they are not happy. I would have had no objection if they had been asked to "review" the competition for, say, a magazine or blog, and had made constructive criticisms, but I think to choose to post that video on Facebook and snark about it, says something interesting. I am friends with various singers and voice teachers on Facebook and it interested me who did and did not choose to highlight that video with (negative) commentary, in other words, who chose to initiate discussion of it. Some people made passing criticism of it when asked, but it was not the focus of their day's postings, and, for example, one voice teacher whose blog I read, did not comment on it at all, but chose to write a piece today about a different vocal issue plaguing singers. So what I'm saying is that it says something about a person if they choose to focus on something they don't like. I just don't get the feeling personally insulted thing. Is that because I'm "only" an amateur? I feel much more personally insulted when I comment on some of these people's posts (about singing, or anything, really) and they pretend I am not there. Do they think they will be "sullied" if they respond to something I say about myself as a singer, professional or not? I have been on this planet for over 60 years and have been in all sorts of contexts, and don't think I have ever felt quite as "shunned" by anyone as by these people. (Or when I'm not being shunned I'm being patronized or lectured, as if I were not a real person with valid life experiences.)

    ReplyDelete