Monday, May 5, 2014

Brief Debrief

Before I take my computer to be repaired, I just wanted to make a brief post about yesterday's performance, and post some pictures.

All in all, I was happy about how it went.  I sang well,  I acted well, and I had a ball.  I did make one huge gaffe which simply would not happen in a professional performance: I was reading along with the script offstage, so when I came on for one scene I had my glasses on!  Of course in a professional performance there is someone in the wings who checks you before you go on stage, so something like this would not happen.

Eight of the 13 people I invited showed up, and they all enjoyed it.  My sense is that the producer was lukewarm about it.  I don't know what that means.  There are some people who only make critical suggestions and don't pay compliments, so maybe she is one of them.  That is ok.  I just hope I can sing with her again.  What she said was that it needed "tweaking" (not a surprise! we only had two runthroughs and this is the first time I did anything with staging that had to be memorized in 35 years).  She mentioned that I had to stay in character when came on and off the stage, which was a useful piece of feedback.  The problem is that I do these things so infrequently that I don't have a chance to tweak or refine anything really.  She did compliment me on having memorized all that music, and implied that there would be a "next time" for this piece.

Next up: she is producing a concert for Hispanic Heritage month, so I am hoping I can sing two Manuel Garcia songs that inspired the Habanera.  I also hope I can sing "Erfreute Zeit" as a summer anthem.  And I keep hearing from the filmmaker intermittently about singing the Bach aria in her film, but she seems not to understand that she can't just give me a week's notice.  If nothing else, I will need to reserve an accompanist and their schedules really fill up.





No comments:

Post a Comment