Monday, October 5, 2015

Save the Date

Well, metaphorically speaking.

I now have a definite date for my Carmen concert.  It will be at the LGBT senior center where my partner gets services, after they have dinner, on Monday May 2, 2016.  My voice teacher will be singing Don Jose.  His wife may be the narrator.  She is a contralto who is a good actress and would definitely be able to give it the right tone.  We are getting the same, superb pianist we had before.  He told me he has played for operatic concerts there before.  My teacher will look for a Micaela.  If we can get the woman who sang before, that would be lovely.  Whether or not she can sing from memory (or whether or not I am wearing my glasses) will not be relevant, because we will be singing from books (note to self: remember to find out if they have music stands; if not, remind teacher to bring one, and we can share it).

I asked if I could invite guests and was told yes, but that they had to be over 60.  That makes perfect sense, as they don't want to have to turn away clients because young people are hogging the seats (not that I think we will get that huge a turnout).  Most of my personal friends are that age anyhow, with a few exceptions.  If someone wants to bring my SO as a carer I don't think it will matter how old that person is.

I am mostly over this cold.  Today when I warmed up I sang a high C sharp.  The B in the Seguidilla (and all those low chest tones) are still not the best notes I can sing, but then that piece is not something that shows off my voice all that much.  We have opened the cut in the last act as well as the cuts that the previous producer made in the "castanets" scene, so I need to rework those.

As for choir solos, I am going to see if I can sing "Bereite Dich Zion" during Advent.  Once the choir schedule comes out (after Thanksgiving) I will see where there is an empty anthem spot.  Then next year I would like to order the piano/vocal arrangement of the Verdi "Ave Maria with Strings" so that maybe I can excerpt something for the following year.  Otherwise I seem to have run out of new pieces for Advent.

And we will see about the rest of the church year.  I like to do something every season.

This is not the most inspired post I have written, but I want to say thumbs up that I now have a date on my calendar to sing something!

No comments:

Post a Comment