Thursday, March 28, 2013

Where My LGBT Persona and My Singer Persona Meet

All the talk about LGBT issues (most notably marriage, which doesn't interest me on a personal level - I would only marry someone with a lot of money, gender immaterial) made me think of my exciting past as an LGBT crusader, back when being out was something brave and novel to do, and I decided, as I was not going to post the equality sign on Facebook (too ordinary now) I would post this picture, from my days as a baton twirler with the Big Apple Corps Marching Band.



Seeing this I had a real "epiphany".  This is what I want, full stop.  It's so obvious.  I was not a great baton twirler.  I learned a few tricks at the age of 40 because a friend in the band said they wanted some "girlie" interest.  They had men in sequins and the band in its uniforms (once a female clarinet player showed up in a tux and nothing but fishnet tights) but no real girls.  So the friend said I could probably learn a few twirling moves and I did.  No fancy splits or jumps, but I could do a few high tosses and lots of choreography (I had studied ballet as a child).  But the outfit!!!  I had it specially made for me.  A dream come true.

Now how can I replicate this?

I was thinking that as far as singing is concerned, what I would probably like best is being an alto/mezzo soloist with a group that performs oratorios.  Then I would never have to sing any high notes, and I could be one of four "stars" in a big group.  Technically my age wouldn't matter and my smashed up knee (from an accident in 2004) wouldn't be a liability.

So I thought of the Oratorio Society of New York.

But if you look at their solo competition rules, it says: "The Solo Competition is open to singers of all nationalities who were born on or after January 1, 1973 and who have not made a formal oratorio debut in a major concert hall."

I think this is outrageous!  I can understand wanting younger people to play younger roles, and I can understand wanting someone with more experience than I have to play a role like Azucena or Ulrica, even for no money, apparently, but to sing in an oratorio???

I am just so tired of having to think of everything myself.

In other news, I enjoyed last night (rehearsal where I am an anonymous chorus alto for the Brahms Requiem) more than I thought I would.  Although I don't consider low notes my special star turn, I am the only one in the section who can produce a real, old-fashioned Italian mezzo-style (or Wagnerian, if you like) chest tone on a middle C or a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment