Sunday, September 18, 2011

An Angel

I've always felt that one thing I lacked was frequent, high level, recordings of my singing.

As with photos, the issue is, of course, the cost. And as I only work part-time, and singing is "only" a hobby an obsession, I feel guilty about every penny I spend and feel that those I do spend have to go to lessons, coachings, music, CDs, and so forth.

The last Christmas my mother was alive, she paid a friend of hers who is a sound engineer to record four arias for me. He came to my coach's studio and set up his equipment. I recorded "O Mio Fernando" from La Favorita, Laura's aria from La Gioconda (that's the best one, and it's what I have here as my profile sound clip), Dalila's "Amour Viens Aider" which I do not like at all now, and "Liber Scriptus" from the Verdi Requiem, which I used to like, but which now sounds harsh and bare, not to mention that with my 60 year old eyesight I misread the phrase "nil inultum" as "nilli nullum", which is what I sang.

Well, in my current impecunious state I had given up all hope of ever making another recording, but then a woman I had been friends with as a teenager, whom I reconnected with on Facebook, said she wanted a recording of me singing "Mon Coeur" and offered to pay something toward the cost. So I emailed the sound engineer and asked what he would charge to record several new arias (my goal would have been to put them on a CD with the others to sell at the church). Well, he told me that he would not charge me anything!!! not only for recording new material, but that he wanted to re-record the old material because he now had better equipment!. He said partly he is doing this because he just inherited money and feels there is no need to charge me. That in and of itself has restored my faith in humanity.

So I am now going to get 8 arias recorded.

This will be my next project after the concert.

I am so excited!

I will have the CD, and new mp3 files, and then I can make copies of the CD and get someone to tell me now to design an insert for it with a picture, etc. and sell it at the church!

So now I just have to sing the concert first!

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to record the concert?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My teacher is going to record it and put it on a CD, but my past experience with these things is that with amateur equipment, they often don't sound good. Probably good enough for me to have an idea how well I sang, but not for public consumption. At least that was my experience when he recorded my concert version of Samson et Dalila. The sound engineer doesn't like working anywhere except in a studio environment (my coach was able to replicate that by unplugging her phone and of all things, her refrigerator. If there's something I like from the concert recording I will see if the sound engineer can excerpt it from the CD and turn it into an mp3 file (I'm sure my teacher would not know how to do that.)

    ReplyDelete