Friday, September 16, 2011

Countdown Continues

I haven't posted anything for a while, so I suppose I'm due for something. I have been very busy with work for pay, and endless conversations with and emails to social service providers about my partner, and, of course, have been working hard on my concert rep.

I am very very happy with all of it and the B flat is getting easier. I have tried all sorts of things - an octave jump, for one, which worked in Samson et Dalila but didn't seem to work here (I think my voice is much bigger now) and then back to the scoop on the A. Really all I have to do is get my body in the setup position (with my larynx down) while the tenor is singing his "Quale Orror" and I've got it. I sang through the whole aria this afternoon and it went very well.

And I need to continue my "in training" regime of high protein low carb, 8 hours of sleep a night, and minimal talking, particularly minimal talking with a tight throat. When I'm agitated, I sound like an aggravated New Yorker (not a "New Yawka" - thank goodness I don't have that kind of accent) but like someone who's always in a hurry and talks fast and loud down on my chords. So the less I talk the better, if I want to sing well. And I've been doing the exercises of singing arpeggios on a V with no vowel. That places my voice farther forward and gives it a buzz.

So I have the week pretty well mapped out.

Monday the 26th is the first rehearsal with the pianist.
Tuesday the 27th I have my regular lesson at 4.
Wednesday the 28th I am taking off (not going to choir rehearsal - I sing differently in a choral setting and need to stay on message that week)
Thursday the 29th is the second rehearsal with the pianist.
Friday the 30th I am home taking a vow of silence.

I had a bit of a scare a few days ago when the pianist I had originally thought we were using had a family emergency, but he found a replacement who knows the rep and is available for the time slots.

The other new wrinkle is my partner says she thinks she "should" come even though she hates the Trovatore scene. I said that was fine and that I would give her money to take a cab. She said no she could take the bus. In any event, if I think she's coming I will be careful to wear something that does not show cleavage because, like so many Lesbians of her mindset, she is incredibly puritannical (I call her the "cleavage police").

Having her there is likely to make me nervous on the other hand I can ignore her and focus on my teacher who is a good anchor. Things I can expect to hear from my partner are that she hated the music, my upper register sounds screamy (she just doesn't like high singing even when I know it sounds good) that I look nervous (which makes me feel more nervous) and whatever I am wearing she will say it looks awful.

Maybe in my next reincarnation I can be married to a mentor of some kind?

No comments:

Post a Comment