Thursday, September 29, 2011

Rehearsal 2

This went very well. If I can sing everything as well on Saturday I will be happy.

We sang the program in sequence, and I did not get tired. I found that moving around during the difficult ending to "Condotta" helped and I had no trouble with the B flat at all. I did not have a big adrenaline drain (nailed all the high notes in the duet) but I had a small one and messed up the recit right after "Condotta". Playing the scene in character helps also. I drank a carton of Muscle Milk during the concert. I won't be able to take a chug in the middle of the Trovatore scene but I can certainly have some during the intermission.

Speaking of food and drink, I have been making an effort to abstain from most starchy foods (only exceptions are mocha coffee, a little dark chocolate, whatever sweetener is in Greek yoghurt, whole grain crackers, and whole grain cereal). I find that I feel much less tired and even lost the 2 or 3 extra pounds I'd picked up. I really don't want to focus on my weight, as that was always something that undermined my singing, but I really really like feeling less tired. Just not having rice or potatoes with a hot meal seems to give me more energy. I can eat stuff like that on the weekends when I stay with my partner.

One interesting thing is I did have a huge adrenaline/blood sugar drop after the rehearsal. First I forgot my jacket and had to go back and get it (not surprising as I hadn't worn a jacket for over a month) and then - this was much worse - I almost tripped over something metal on the curb. This is really scary. I stumbled on the pavement and fractured my kneecap in 2004 (which required surgery) and am very frightened of cracks in the pavement.

My partner says she will try to come. If she does, fine, if not, not. I think some people from the church will come and one or two personal friends. If there are 30 people this will pay for itself.

The other singers are very good and very nice.

So tomorrow is stay home and be quiet day. I'm lucky that I do something quiet for a living. So I can get a lot of work for pay done. My teacher said to do vocalizing for about 15 minutes and that's it. I really don't have anyone to talk to. I pray that my partner doesn't have a crisis of some kind. She seems to be recovering from this respiratory "thing" she's had.

Then Saturday is the big day. After that scare of almost falling I will have to decide how to get there. The simplest thing is to walk. It's really only about 7 blocks away. I will just need to look down. At least the place where I almost tripped was north of where I'm going, so I won't have to be at that curb.

Please wish me luck everyone! I have been working on this for six months and I feel I really made a breakthrough with it, and want to do it proud!

2 comments:

  1. I am sure you will do great! You have put so much into it!! I wish so much I could come and listen to you live. I will be there with my thoughts, and send you lots of great singing energy! Toi Toi Toi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind thoughts, especially coming from another Azucena! My teacher will probably tape the concert. If the acoustics are good enough to make it worthwhile, I can have a CD made and then my sound engineer friend may be able to make me some mp3 files. In any event, per this post, I will have a new CD (and new mp3 files) by January.

    ReplyDelete