Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Spanner in the Works

Yesterday was a day from Hell.

Somehow my Yahoo email became corrupted. (Long story short, as a result of all the problems with the mail site, I asked for a new password, which got sent to my old office email which doesn't exist any more, and now am locked out. There's still hope that I can get back in after 11 if I can answer a security question but as I made that up 7 years ago who knows? I should have stuck with my mother's maiden name, although the correct terms these days is "birth name". Still, it's something I'm not likely to forget.)

So I had to scramble around looking for printouts that had email addresses of my business contacts so that I could alert them not to write to me at that email address (I now have a new gmail address and I still have the Yahoo address I used for my pseudonymous blog) but there was one I couldn't find, for a new client, who used to be a former (and formidable) boss, so I will need to suss that out and get back to her. Fortunately, I am an old fashioned girl and I had most of the email addresses of personal friends in my little pink 3 x 4 address book that I carry in my purse, so I could write to them.

In a way, starting fresh with a new email account is nice in that it means I won't be getting endless emails from Land's End and Victoria's Secret and various web sites I signed up for when I was job hunting, but I still want to see who wrote to me over the past few days so that I can give them my new address.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, I got a call from my teacher's wife saying that the "food poisoning" he thought he had, that had led him to cancel my lesson yesterday, was an attack of appendicitis and that even as we were speaking he was having surgery.

First and foremost, I want everyone to send prayers for his speedy recovery. One usually thinks of appendicitis as something that young people get. I have rarely heard of a 60-year-old having appendicitis. Now I have no idea if this concert will go forward. His wife knows two tenors whom she is going to call and I will try contacting the woman who runs the studio where the concert is supposed to be.

I don't know if I would have to pay for the studio rental if the concert is postponed.

I just feel so bad, all around. I am trying to keep the focus on the most important thing being that my teacher recovers (what would I do without him? I have studied with him for two extended periods over a span of three decades and he is also a friend). My selfish need to sing this concert is secondary.

Rather ironically, yesterday evening I did my best runthrough of "Condotta" to date, high B flat and all.

I still have the recording to make, but that's not the same as getting dressed up and singing in front of people live.

Well, it's all just one day at a time. After 11 I will check my email and then I will see what's happening on the tenor front.

Needless to say I didn't sleep well last night.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your teacher getting appendicitis, good thoughts and prayers are going towards him and your situation. I hope everything turns out to be fine, and that he has a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind thoughts. I am going to call the house phone now and send an email. I don't have his wife's cell number. I will need to remember to ask her for it.

    As far as finding another tenor, if I can't find one who can sing the entire program I can probably juggle things around.

    ReplyDelete