Sunday, October 30, 2011

Want Ad Becomes an "Assignment"

As my therapist was the one who suggested that I go to those singing Meetups, and as that did not work out, we decided I needed to regroup.

Surely in a city as big as New York, there must be other people like me. The question is how to find them. So what are my demographics, really?


1. I am what I laughingly refer to as a "tweenior", meaning I am not old enough for Social Security or Medicare or any other senior discounts but I am past middle age.

2. I started the serious study of singing late (whether or not I was studying seriously or even being serious about it when I studied before, between the ages of 26 and 30, is questionable, in retrospect).

3. I have a big operatic voice. (Whether or not singing is "only" a hobby, I am not a choral-type singer with a small pleasant voice.)

4. I still have some technical "issues" to work out and believe that my best singing is still ahead of me.

5. As I am a "newbie" to all this I am hungry hungry hungry hungry to do it. I am by no means "scaling back".

6. However, as I am the age I am, I have a whole life infrastructure that can't be thrown into disarray because I'm singing.

7. I do my best if I am one of the "better" (not the best, if I'm the best I'm in the wrong place) singers in a given group, so I am not going to thrive in a group full of YAPPers and older managed singers.

8. I want to be somewhere where my singing, and my story, would be of interest to other people who have had similar experiences. I don't thrive if I feel I'm being politely ignored, either.

9. Also, if I meet peers compared to whom I am performing at a high level, they might be interested in inviting me to perform somewhere with them, and I wouldn't have to do all the inviting and all the planning.

I was thinking about posting something on the Forum but even thinking about that place makes me want to crawl under the couch.

My therapist said Craigslist but that makes me nervous. Would leave myself open to too many crazies.

Maybe I'll post something in my pseudonymous blog. I have some regular readers, some of whom do know me by my real name also. They might have some advice.

I would have posted something there first, but no one is around on Sunday and the post would get lost.

Now I'm off to sing the alto part in a Bach cantata for Reformation Sunday, which is a big Lutheran holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment